“Oh, DO I Have Teaching Experience…”
October 4, 2010 § 2 Comments
So I actually did submit an application to UVU’s teaching certification program. Although for other reasons than the essay rejection letter.*
While I was applying, I reflected on the teaching experience I DO have:
- Teaching a classroom of beanie babies and stuffed animals their ABCs.
- Teaching a classroom of bored and distracted and crying baby siblings their primary songs.
- Teaching a group of middle school friends how to get out of doing house chores on Saturdays.
- Teaching a broom with duct taped hangers (for arms) how to slow dance to “I Can See Clearly Now…the Rain IS Gone,” which isn’t actually a slow song.
- Teaching Ryan how to put a toilet seat down.
Is it coincidence that my whole life has prepared me for this UVU teaching program?
*For the record: I woke up last Sunday with a feeling to reconsider my current schooling options. I had been planning on getting my master’s in Creative Writing…but for some reason I felt like I needed to consider finances and helping out my future babies because I want 100 (plus I don’t need a degree in anything to write). Teaching kept popping up in my head (more than usual) so I checked out UVU’s website. They have a post-baccalaureate teaching certification program that takes about a year to finish, then student teaching. The applications were due that Friday, so I figured, Hey, good timing, I should apply.